
This past semester, I decided to take a womens' self-defense class. I am so glad I did too! Not that I've had to use any of my new skills to fight anyone off or anything, but I think it has been a life-changing experience for me, because it has made me realize more than ever, that I am worth protecting. And not just in the really extreme situations, but in situations that I just feel uncomfortable in. I know how to get out of those now, and no one is allowed to make me feel ways that I don't want to feel.
The class, taught by people in the police department, is a nationwide program, called "R.A.D." (Rape Aggression Defense). In it, I have learned basic defense techniques, like how to block hits, and various different strikes to vulnerable areas on the body. I have also learned important verbal techniques and phrases, and safety practices to avoid dangerous situations.
A couple weeks ago, we had a simulation, where each girl had to go through (by herself) three increasingly difficult attacks from the police men instructors, who were all suited up in thick padding. This was to help us put all of the skills we have learned to use, in a stressful, somewhat realistic situation. I haven't been that nervous in a long time! When it got around to be my turn, I didn't really feel like I did as well as I hoped. But the good news is, that I did get increasingly better, in each phase I went through. When we watched ourselves on video this week, I realized that I really didn't do that bad - It was a lot better than I thought. I had pictured myself flailing around, trying to get away, but when I watched my video, there was no flailing, thank goodness! If I could do it again, I think I would be a little more confident in the execution of my techniques, and be able to think a little more clearly, now that I know what to expect. That is why I am going to take the advanced self-defense class next semester! Can't wait! We will learn how to fight off multiple attackers, and ways defend ourselves from someone with a weapon, plus more.If you have ever considered taking a self-defense class, I would highly recommend doing it, and taking it through the R.A.D. program. Learning these skills is an invaluable experience, and I know that you that you will feel so empowered when you gain this new knowledge!
4 comments:
That's great that you got to do the simulation. For some reason our teacher said they weren't doing the sim this year and he was pretty mad about it. I wasn't too bummed but at the same time I bet it was great practice! We should totally try to beat each other up this summer!
Good for you! I've taken self-defense and karate, but I'm way out of practice.
It does sound like a good class. Those guys look way scary though. I think you will enjoy taking the next class.
I pity the fool who messes with missy moo moo!
Post a Comment