Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Economics Applied

One of my favorite classes this semester is my class on economics. As I was reading a book entitled "Reinventing the Bazaar" by John McMillan, I came across something very interesting. We had been talking in class about the effects of property rights on an economy. When people actually own things they have incentives to take care of them. When they don't own things, in most cases they don't take care of them like they should. This quote from the book really struck me, "Ownership is the strongest source of incentives. It is a spur to exerting effort, drawing up plans, taking risks. Owning a productive asset gives you the power to control how it is used, plus an assurance that the returns from it will be yours. Ownership motivates you to learn about the asset's best uses, etc" (McMillan 90).
You may be wondering, how on earth does this relate to this guy's religion? This is how. As a member of the Mormon Church, I believe that I and everyone else on earth lived as spirits before coming here to earth. I also believe that there was a plan for our existence that was designed in heaven. We got to a point where the only way we could progress further was by coming to earth and being tested (away from our Heavenly Father, or God). There were 2 options that we could choose from. Satan presented a plan that all of us would come to earth and live our lives. The only implication was that we wouldn't have the ability to choose. Satan would have control over us and would force us to do good so that we could return to heaven where we came from. The other option was presented by Jesus Christ (this is the plan that each of us decided to follow). His plan was that we would each come to earth and have the ability to choose for ourselves. This also meant that there would be lots of good decisions and lots of bad decisions, but we (and God), decided that it was worth it because it would allow us the opportunity to grow and progress.
This is where the principle of ownership comes in. We were given our agency, or ability to choose. Saying that we were given the ability to choose, or our agency implies that it is ours and ours alone. We have sole ownership over it and our choices and decisions are our own property rights.
I also believe that this is one of the ONLY things that is actually mine. I believe that everything I have is a gift from God and is not necessarily my property, but God's. Relating back to the book, it stated that ownership is the strongest source of incentives. It helps exert effort, draw up plans, take risks, control how it is used, and be assured that the future benefits will be kept by the owner. I feel confident that God knew this when He designed us and designed His plan for our existence. He knew that by giving us sole ownership of our lives and our will, we would be motivated to make the most of it, to learn about it, to use it wisely and invest our time, talents, and energy into things that would yield rich returns.
To be give or be given in marriage is also a type of ownership. My wife, Marissa was given to me in marriage and visa versa so in a way, we belong to each other. Of course I want to invest everything I have into the relationship so that it will yield rich returns. I will want to take care of the relationship so that I can enjoy it forever. I'm certain that she feels the same way.
Eventually we will be given children. Although they will still be God's children, we will be given part ownership of them. Because they will be our children, all the same principles will apply. Again, I do not think that this ownership of some of the most important things in this life is mere coincidence. I'm sure that God had an understanding of human nature, and taking that into account, he organized families in this way so that there is ownership in place, divinely designed so that we would take care of these most important possessions.
Finally, a belief I have as a member of the Mormon Church, is that I am a child of God. I believe that all people on earth are children of God. In a sense, this implies that God has ownership of us. Similarly, think of what He, the most powerful being in the universe, will do so that each of us, as His most precious investment, will yield a rich return.
I know that He does love us and that he considers us to be of infinite more worth than a mere investment or a piece of property. He loves us as His children because that is what we are. An evidence of that love is his allowing us to have our agency so that we can do with it as we please and reap the rewards. This is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

2 comments:

Pricilla said...

Richard, that was a great testimony to read, great insight! Marissa, you are one lucky woman with a very devoted husband!

natureteacher said...

Wow! It's amazing how the Spirit can give you insights through "temporal" things. The scriptures do say that everything is spiritual to God! This also reminds me that my 4th graders will be much more motivated to learn if they are given ownership of their learning. I'll have to ponder on that one and find out how I can apply it... Thanks, Richard! You're amazing!
Love, your sis, Diana