Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Forgiveness

As I was reading the Book of Mormon this week, I came across Helaman 1:32,33. In Helaman chapter 1 there was a faction in the government and contention over who should be chief judge. This left the Nephites unprepared and vulnerable to an attack from the Lamanites. The Lamanites obviously saw this and took advantage of it. Led by a man named Coriantumr, the Lamanites hacked their way through the Nephite defenses and went straight to the capital city, Zarahemla. There they cut down the guard and took possession of the city. The Lamanites then used Zarahemla as a launching point as they started to cut through the middle of Nephite lands causing great slaughter as they went. To make a long story short, the Lamanites became surrounded (because they were in the very heart of Nephite lands), and they were defeated and captured.
My heart goes out to the Nephites because of the great slaughter that took place among them at that time. The Lamanites were so swift that the Nephites were unable to gather themselves together except in small groups that were easily destroyed. I feel that it might have been a great temptation for them to retaliate in the same way once they had surrounded and captures the Lamanites.
I can't help but think of what the Lamanites were thinking at that time. They had slaughtered many Nephites and had been captured and let go by the Nephites countless times before. Perhaps they were thinking, "well, the Nephites got us again. We have killed many of their people. They have let us go in the past, but because we keep coming against them, they will not let us go this time" But the Nephites did let them go. The Nephites had mastered the technique of "catch and release".
I know that this example in the scriptures that is repeated over and over again, is there to show us the love and forgiveness available to us from the Savior of the world. It is also a model for how we should act toward others. I think that it gives new light to the scripture that we should forgive 70 times 7 times. The Savior will forgive us no matter how many times we make the same dumb mistake and we should do the same. I know that Jesus does have that kind of love for us, and I know that if we pray for it, we can have that kind of love too.

3 comments:

Lindsay Rosas said...

What a great message! i love the scriptures :) You guys have a cute blog! You both look so happy and in love...married life is the best huh?

Scott Johns said...

I enjoyed this message, Richard. It reminds me of the talk given by President Faust regarding forgiveness that I think we are all familiar with. In his talk, he spoke of a tradedy in an amish community, when several amish school-girls were killed and treated terribly. The amazing miracle is that the amish completely forgave the man responsible, and they even offered to help his widow and children.

Although it would be extremely difficult (for me) to forgive to that degree, this community proved that it is possible. What an amazing blessing!

It's examples like these that also exemplify to me the faith in our Savior that is necessary to forgive. Forgiving others is never easy for me, but I always feel better when I do. I'm sure that the Nephites likewise were able to feel Heavenly Father's appreciation for forgiving the Lamanites countless times. I know as well that Heavenly Father and Christ love us and want us to forgive each other.

Sarah Shaw said...

I thought the same thing about nephite when Dale and I just read that Isn't it cool how we cal pull something different out of them every time we read ?
Cool Blog