I have no more excuses for not posting, so here I am! The past few months have been hectic and busy, to say the least. Between class, homework, tests, finals, moving, vacationing, and working, its been hard to find time! But now, we've finally settled down again, and have a somewhat regular schedule. Here's the latest on what we've been up to:
ARIZONA
Since school ended about a month ago, we've been all over the place. We drove straight down to Arizona after finals and moving out, for a family reunion on the Patterson side. We had such a good time, seeing Richard's family (who we don't get to see very much, since they live in Pennsylvania) and spending time with them, and seeing (and meeting) aunts and uncles and cousins. I guess they hadn't gotten everyone together at the same time for years and years, so it was good timing for me to meet them all! I was so impressed with the bond that everyone had, It made me so happy to know that I married into such a great family!
We got to Arizona just in time to do a temple session with Richard's cousin, Megan. She went through for the first time, in preparation for her temple marriage a week later. That was such an enjoyable experience. The Mesa temple is beautiful!
On what was going to be our last night there, I went through a special initiation into the family. Apparently, it is a frequent occurrence when Richard's family stays with their Aunt Shauna, for someone to get a nasty stomach bug. I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this! I was that lucky person this time. That was sure something else. I'm glad I got that over with, so now there's no doubt about me belonging to the family. :)
OREGON
after a few short days in Arizona, we drove to Oregon (making the trip in two days..) We were fortunate enough to time it so that we could be there with the family for a few days before Tayler reported to the MTC. It was so nice to be back with the family, I loved it! I can't wait to see you all again! :)
While we were there, we also got to go to our amazing friends' Max and Rebecca Baertlein's wedding! It was very exciting for us to be there for their wedding, and to remember ours. It was Richard and my first time back to the Portland Temple since our wedding there in August, so it was an emotional experience to revisit what it was like that day for us. They had a beautiful wedding, and I think they've both been glowing ever since. :) They are a perfect match for each other!
We were glad we also got to be there for Tayler's farewell party, that was fun! So many people came to see Tayler off, and show their support for him. It was awesome to see how much Tayler is loved. I am so proud of Tayler, and for how much he has done and gone through in preparation for his mission. I know it is where he is supposed to be, and that he is going to be an amazing, stalwart, hardworking, devoted
faithful, genuine and motivated/ing missionary. I can only imagine how this experience will shape and make Tayler the person he will be for the rest of his life. What an amazing example! I was hard to say goodbye to him, knowing we won't see him for another 2 years...it seems so far away! But I know it will fly by, and every second will be worth it.
CALIFORNIA
We finally made our way down to Camarillo, CA, making the whole drive in one day! It was a long one! (16 hours I think?) It wasn't too bad, I felt a lot better than I had for the past week and a half or so, so I was even able to drive for a few hours, so Richard could rest. I felt pretty proud of myself for doing that, because I ended up driving through Sacramento, during rush hour, while Richard was asleep. It was a little bit nerve-racking, but I did it! I think my calmness was due to our good friend, Tom Tom. Tom Tom is a very special friend, and him and I are getting very well acquainted. I take him everywhere with me. He's a little bossy, because he always tells me what to do, but I don't mind. Whenever I do what he says, I know I'll be ok. Whoever invented the GPS must have had divine inspiration on my behalf. I am a person who, you could say, is directionally challenged... I don't know why it is, but even when I've driven to a place before, I still have to write down directions for myself, or have someone telling me what to do, for numerous times after (and even then, I still get lost!). Tom Tom the GPS is a good thing for me, and I never have driving anxiety when I have him in the car!
Anyway, now that we're finally here, settled in, we are loving it! The weather here is great, our apartments are nice and spacious, and in one of the safest neighborhoods in Camarillo (with our church on one side of it, and a bible school on another side, you can imagine why). The only thing we are lacking with our apartment situation is a dishwasher, which I'm a little bummed about! I have never lived without one for more than a couple days (basically, just on camping trips). I guess I'm a little spoiled. I will survive though!
We have been working a rigorous schedule ever since we got here. 2-3 mornings a week, Richard and Max get our selling team together for about a half hour for a meeting, and then break to go and start selling for the rest of the day til 8:30 or so every night. Everyone sells Monday through Friday from about 10am-8:30 pm, and Saturdays from 10-4. Richard and I worked out a deal though, that I get to stay home in the mornings (and all day on Saturday) and then come and meet him for lunch, and sell for the rest of the day (4-8). The only catch though, is that while I stay home, I get to 1) clean the house, 2) do dishes and 3) make food for lunch and if possible, dinner. So, that keeps me pretty busy in the mornings. We've got a pretty good system going on though.
Our mornings have recently been really productive. I've been so proud of us!!! Let me tell you what we have been doing. Before, we would wake up at 8 or so, hurry and get ready for the day, then rush for breakfast and a meeting and Richard would barely get out the door on time. Then I would work out with Rebecca at 10 or so, come back, be ready by 12, and then hurry to make lunch, and leave to meet Richard by 1. So, our mornings were not very productive. But, as of this past Monday, we have all (Richard, me, Max and Rebecca) been getting up by 6:30am to work out. This has made a huge difference! I am ready for the day hours earlier than I was before, and Richard and I have time to read our scriptures together before he leaves. I am also able to make Richard a nice breakfast each morning now, which totally wins me points, we are less rushed, and now I have more time in the mornings before I leave. Its great!
Well, we are loving California, it is a beautiful place. We are about 20 minutes from the beach, which is awesome (we've already been there a couple times). Our Ward is great, the people here are really nice and friendly, they make us feel very welcome here. Although the job is hard, it is very rewarding. Clark treats its employees very well, they pay for our gas, take us out to lunch every week, and they are even buying us season passes to Universal Studios! They treat us like gold here. This job is also good, because it is making us do things outside of our comfort zone (especially mine), and helping us to develop and refine our people skills. So, even though its really hard, its really good. Its one of those things Dad would say "builds character." :)
6 comments:
I have directional challenges too! What are you guys selling? Is this just a summer job?
Oh I just love you! What a wonderful adventure you guys are having! I have been trying to talk myself in to getting up before my kids do so I can be ready for the day when they get up. Thanks for the extra motivation!
that does sound like a busy and crazy trip!! adam's uncle lives in Camarillo. Do you know any Malan's? They are really awesome people!! That would be awesome if you knew them and you could tell them you're my cousins. Small world it would be.
Haha- directionally challenged! Me too. Thanks for updating us on everything. It sounds like you are doing really well, being all productive! Way to go.
Aren't mornings great. I love them. Once you foil the nasty wake-up monster and slip out of bed everything is rosy. I am so proud of you all. Keep up the good work - character building is what this life is all about anyway - right?
I just have to say, that your report on getting up early made me smile--and it made my day. Early morning sunlight makes us all happy, and productive--as long as we didn't burn the midnight oil too long! Exercising first thing really makes you feel great too. Way to go!
Post a Comment