Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My thoughts lately

Living in a third world country, I have started to think more about why things are they way they are, and what I can do to change them.  One thing that Richard and I were talking about today was that
It is interesting how materialism is such a part of our culture in the U.S.; we base so much of our personal worth and value on what we have, or what we do.  We relate best (or think we do) to those who have the same hobbies, or have the same things, the same level of income, or who have the same ____ just like we do.  While there is nothing wrong with finding things in common with others, I do have to argue that there is something wrong with only focusing on material similarities.
 After being here for less than two weeks, the people and culture here are making me realize how materialistic I am, and how much I have hidden behind “things,” and used “things” to help me feel valued.  I have noticed that when I meet people here for the first time, they don’t seem to notice how nice and clean my clothes are, or how I did my hair, or how fit I am. 
Here, these people don’t have as many material cares.  Many only have a few dirty clothes (that they value for the sake of having something to cover them), and it seems that all the locals have run-down homes, and very few material possessions. 
They are automatically accepting and welcoming.  There have been so many times that I have been greeted with a hearty hug, when it was the first time I had ever met the person before.  I have noticed myself even becoming a little uncomfortable with people wanting to get to know the real me…without valuing how I look or what I have, etc.  It is so shallow, and it kind of made me sick to realize how much I have placed some of my value on material things, when I always thought I didn’t really care very much about material possessions.

5 comments:

BJ said...

It's amazing to me how one's perspective changes when you go to a place so different from the one you came. We are extremely blessed to have so many possessions here in the US, but I, like you, think we become very attached to them. The question becomes what can we do about it? The main thing I have decided is to try to give generously and to try and teach my children to do the same. Giving of your possessions is the best way to detach yourself from them, especially if you give to the point that it keeps you from getting something you want. It's never enough, but it is a start, and hopefully we can make progress this way, both within ourselves and for others.

Unknown said...

I loved this. Its sad the opportunities we miss out on by looking at another person and thinking we have NOTHING in common because we don't act or look the same. When in fact it tends to be those people who balance us. And often times make us better people. We grow and learn so much from others. I am so glad you are getting to see the other side of things and how we can accept and love everyone. Because that's what Heavenly Father did for us. He loved us from the first instant he saw us.

Francesca said...

I remember once in a magazine an article showing photos of families from different countries in front of everything they owned. I thought about this as we moved this past week. I don't like or have a lot of stuff, and yet I realized how much we still have, especially in comparison to the rest of the world. I really don't consider us "poor college students." We're not even close to being poor!

I also don't think I'm materialistic, but after reading your post, I think I am.

Cami said...

I just love all my cousins! You are so brave Marissa, and I can't tell you how impressed I am. I want to share a link for your blog on my FB page if thats ok??? You are just so inspiring and I want to share it! FB me if thats ok???? you are in my prayers! Love You!

Sarah Shaw said...

Thanks Marissa for the much needed reminder. I'm sharing theis on my FB page. Hope you don't mind. If you don't know who I am just ask Elder Patterson :)