Saturday, July 9, 2011

Our Hike up to Mt. Elgon and other stuff

One of our first weekends here, Richard and I went on a hike with a bunch of people in our group to the nearby mountain - Mt. Elgon.  It was such a beautiful place, and of course, pictures couldn't even come close to capturing the beauty there.  It was breath taking, and we LOVED it.  When we signed up to go here, I didn't think we were going to be going to such a beautiful, tropical place.  I was really expecting to be in a dry brown area, but it is far from that.  It is lush, green, and beauty is everywhere.  I love Uganda!
We hiked to the top of that waterfall!
The view
Climbing up the natural ladder - it was made out of branches that were lashed together with vines - crazy!
Riding in the back of a truck to get to the beginning of our hike
Richard showing the kids how to whistle with grass


This is from a completely different experience, but it takes so long to upload pictures here, that I am not going to reorganize!  These are the children at the "Child of Hope" Primary school - they are so sweet, and I love them!  We (our group) have been doing a lot of projects with the Child of Hope Organization - they are located in one of the largest slums in Africa - Namatala - which happens to be very close to Mbale.  There is a lot of work to do there, which means a lot of opportunities for us to help!


1 comment:

Eva and John Fisher said...

You guys look like you're having a wonderful time! Those kids are so cute!