Sunday, August 9, 2009

Talkie Talk

Today Richard and I gave talks in church. I'll let Richard write about his, but I promised I would give a report on mine, per Rochelle and Mom's request. The good news is that I wasn't as nervous and sick about it as I was the last time I gave a talk. But I was still nervous... and I kept trying to tell myself that I loved talking in front of large crowds, especially when I don't know them...but it didn't really help much. And then when our bishop came up and shook our hands, he told me I was "exuding nervousness" and I was just encircled in a nervous aura (I really needed an Aura-Fluff). Once I just sat down and re-read my talk, I calmed down, and knew that I was going to be fine. When it came time to give my talk, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be, and I think I did ok. The only bummer was that it wasn't very long, and I ended up leaving Richard with 25 minutes to speak...ooops. But don't worry, he's amazing, and he did a great job. People kept saying afterward, that the more he talked, the better it got. So, it all worked out. (Last time we spoke, I took up too much time, and only left him with a few minutes, so I guess I was trying to make up for that or something...I'll get it right eventually).
Ok, without any further ado...here is my talk:

Unselfish Service (Based off of Elder Dallin H. Oaks' April 2009 Gen conference talk)

Our Purpose in this earthly is to learn to become like Christ. One of the best ways that we can work towards that is through our works of unselfish service. We become true disciples of Christ when we forget ourselves and our own selfish desires, and seek to bless the lives of others.
Jesus Christ's entire life is a model for us - he taught us that "in order to follow Him, we must deny ourselves of our selfish interests, in order to serve others." In Matt 16:24-25, Jesus taught, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."
We are given the opportunity to serve so that we can grow and stretch and overcome the negative qualities of the natural man. President Hinkley once said, "He who lives only unto himself withers and dies, ,while he who forgets himself in the service of others grows and blossoms in this life and in eternity."
In learning to unselfishly serve others, we develop a quality called charity, which is the pure love of Christ, and which in Moroni 7, we are counseled to pray for with all energy of heart, for we are nothing without it.
Heavenly Father is all-powerful, and is able to do His own work: to provide for his children. But he gives us the opportunity to help, so that we can learn, and grow, and become like Him.
When I was younger, my parents were kind enough to provide me and my siblings various "character building opportunities that included doing numerous chores around the house, or working outside on out 26 acre tree farm for hours on end. Sometimes I wished my parents or somebody else would just do it, so I could go and play or hang out with friends, or just do whatever I wanted. Sometimes, when it seemed like the workload was overwhelming, I would joke bitterly with my parents that they must have had 6 kids just so they'd have more people to do work. I didn't really have the best attitude at the time, but looking back, I feel grateful for the opportunity to serve my family, and forget my own selfish desires.
The wonderful thing about the whole experience was that even though I wasn't excited at the time, to be doing all that work, I was able to develop important values and skills that I wouldn't have otherwise gained. I could have pursued my own desires, but I would have had nothing to show for it, because that attitude produces no growth and no change. However, out of that experience, I was able to grow in ways that I never could have, and most of that is thanks to my parents.
Just as earthly parents give their children opportunities to serve, Heavenly Father, in His loving kindness gives us these opportunities because he wants us to grow. He allows us to assist in His work, so that we can acquire the same traits that he has, so we can ultimately become like Him.
As I learned, one of the best places for unselfish service to be taught and learned, is in the home. And one of the best examples of unselfish service is the sacrifice that parents make for their children. In this last general conference, Elder oaks talked about giving unselfish service. In talking about the sacrifice that parents make for their children, he explained that "mothers suffer pain and loss of personal priorities and comforts to bear and rear each child, and Fathers adjust their lives and priorities to support a family...None of this service asks, what's in it for me? All of it requires setting aside personal convenience for unselfish service. I think parenting is truly a divine role and calling, because of the way that it teaches us to become like Christ. Elder Oaks explains it well: " the plan of the Gospel of Jesus Christ lifts us above our selfish desires and teaches us that this life is all about what we can become." That is the beauty of unselfish service. It stretches us and helps us become what we are supposed to become.
Parents set and example for their children, as they dedicate their time to regular temple service. The temple is another one of the best places that unselfish service occurs. That service "has no other motive than love and service for out fellowmen, living and dead." It is a sacrifice of time to go to the temple, but the blessings that follow more than make up for it.
There are opportunities for unselfish service everywhere we look, and in the many roles that we may fill throughout life, whether it be as parents, children, missionaries, church leaders, teachers, and the list goes on. In a world that teaches us to be asking "what's in it for me?" all the time, instead, let's take the opposite approach. Instead of expecting something for nothing, I would challenge all of us to focus on giving something and expecting nothing in return. That is truly unselfish service, and I know that when we truly forget ourselves in the service of others, our love for them, God's children grows and deepens, along with our love for the Savior.

1 comment:

rochelle said...

Nice talk, Marissa. I bet the delivery was great too. Thanks for posting it for us all to read.