Tuesday, November 17, 2009

BAD PERSON QUIZ


As most of you know, I never do blog posts unless it's something I get really worked up over. Well here's what happened. In my biology class we have been talking about global warming and our ecological footprint and what not. Today I had to take a quiz online to find out if I was a bad person. Here is the link http://www.myfootprint.org/en/about_the_quiz/what_it_measures/. If you would like to see how bad you are feel free to take it! Basically it tells you if the whole world lived your kind of lifestyle, how many worlds would it take to support it? My score was 5.30!! And the area that I scored the lowest was the food section! In other words, I have a very heavy food footprint. I was kind of insulted by this especially because the questions took TONS of points off I didn't eat organic foods and things (which I don't.) Anyway, we were supposed to write a 1 page paper about how we can reduce our footprints. I was still angry when I wrote my essay so it turned out to be a little sarcastic. I have included it here for your reading pleasure.


My Footprint
I was honestly kind of annoyed with this survey. In almost all areas I was below the country average. There was one area however, in which I was substantially over. That was the area of food footprint! Food footprint? I know that I am a more conservative eater than the average American – eating more nutritious foods, eating less food than the average, and not wasting food, but still it gave me a ridiculous score because I don't buy organic products. That's ridiculous. Anyway, 5.30 earths are required to maintain my “excessive” and “glutenous” lifestyle. There is not a whole lot that I can do at this point in my life to reduce my housing footprint – being as how I live in an apartment and cannot control what it was built out of and what energy efficient features it has. I suppose next year I could decide to only rent a place that meets certain energy efficiency standards, but I know that will not happen as it will probably cost more. As far as my goods and services footprint goes, the biggest thing I could do would be to completely wear things out before I actually replace them. Recycling isn't really an option right now, but I can definately do that in the future. My carbon footprint was well below the national average, but I could still reduce it further. The biggest thing I could do for that would be to take fewer and smaller vacations so that I am not driving and/or flying all over the place. Instead I could ride a bike or hike to my parents place in Pennsylvania. Riding a bike or carpooling to school would also be an effective way to reduce my carbon footprint. I could also do little things around the house to reduce my carbon footprint – like unplugging idle electronics for example, and turning things off with a power strip. Buying more energy efficient light bulbs would be good too. If I can get permission from my landlord I could install solar panels on my windows. And I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I draped all my clothes out the window to air dry. I could also turn my thermostat off and wear my frozen solid air dried clothes to keep me warm. Another big area I could improve in is the organic clothing area. I have 1 shirt that is 100% organic cotton. Quite frankly, I feel very ashamed that I don't only have a 100% organic cotton wardrobe. To fix that I can throw all my current clothing away and buy organic, or better yet, make all my own clothing from grass and twigs and things I would find in a forest. Finally, I need to reduce my consumption of pesticided foods and focus on the natural foods and support my local organic farmer. I think this is a pretty good plan of what I can do to reduce my ecological footprint. And just for good measure, I will reduce my C02 output by breathing less.


4 comments:

BJ said...

Hehe... that's funny. Could you explain why using pesticide makes your carbon footprint larger? (That's a serious question.) It seems to me that pesticide wouldn't matter much one way or the other, unless they are cutting down rain forests to make it. But what do I know?! I make my living off of 1's and 0's that have absolutely no relationship with the real world!

Richard said...

We also learned about farming v. organic farming in my Biology class and this is what I gather. Apparently conventional farming methods strip the soil of nutrients and harm ecosystems when chemical fertilizers and pesticides get into the water supply. Basically, organic farming is supposedly more sustainable. So I think that's why the quiz hated me so much for not buying organic - because I am supporting farmers that are damaging the environment.

Kasey Strong said...

That's a really funny essay. You actually turned that in? Ha. Way to go. But not way to go on wasting the earth away. Bad move, Patterson. :)

Amber Whiteley said...

Marissa, I just read this and could not stop laughing! Haha, especially when you said you'd hike to pennsylvania! too funny.