Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm all made of hinges...

....But they don't all bend!
This week has been a week of relief and healing, literally. I have been feeling kind of down lately because I have felt like my body is aging way too fast - everything is breaking down! My issues have been pain in my wrists and my feet. I don't write to complain, so here's the upside: Its not as bad as I thought!
I went to the doctor last week for the wrist pain, I thought maybe it was carpal tunnel. Luckily, after the doctor had a look, he told me that I have something much more fixable. It's called Dequervains Tenosynovitis. Sounds scary, but it just means repetitive strain thumb pain. I think it is a result of typing, texting, and crocheting (I think its mostly from crocheting too much over the Christmas break..oops). So, my doctor gave me two thumb/wrist splints (one for each hand) that I get to wear day and night for the next 3 weeks! Lucky me! I'm being sarcastic, but I really am grateful that it isn't as bad as it could have been. I also went in to see a podiatrist for some foot pain. I am glad that I finally went in, because it was very helpful and enlightening. My feet have been the biggest source of pain and resistance to do much physical activity for the past couple years, and I thought that maybe I'd just have to live with it. So, bad news: my doctor told me that I most definitely have flat feet, but the good news is that I can get custom orthotics, that will improve everything.
I am so grateful to say that because of BYU insurance, I can get those custom orthotics for my feet- one pair especially made for dress shoes (thank goodness, because that's all I wear) and one pair for sports shoes (so now I can be active again), at an extremely low cost ($60 per pair, as opposed to $360). I only wish I would have known about this option sooner, because my feet unfortunately have some irreversible damage, including bunions and other bone structure changes, and its pretty constantly painful.

Lesson learned: don't put off taking care of your body - its not worth the pain, and you are worth the money spent on your comfort and health.

No comments: