Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Our Latest Goings-on

Well, a TON of stuff has happened since my last post, and, while I'd like to think that I'm going to go back and be able to detail all the major events, I know that probably won't happen and I'll just get overwhelmed by the thought of all that writing and remembering.  SO, instead, I'm gonna do the classic "list of the major high points" of the past 6 months.

- Richard had lots of job interviews each month of his last semester of college, he got a good number of job offers, and ultimately decided to take a marketing position at a company called Precoa in Portland, Oregon (which just so happens to be where my parents/family live).
Richard and I got Cafe Rio to celebrate him officially accepting his job at Precoa!


- I had Lacey (her birth story is in progress, but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the details I want to remember, so it may be a while...)



- My 5k event (which I planned for the Tobacco Prevention and Control Program at the UCHD), the "Cold Turkey Fun Run" happened the week Lacey was born - it represented months of planning and effort, and I have to say, I was very proud of and happy with how it turned out! My co-workers completely took over for me in making it all come together, and we had a great turnout! Here is a link to an article about it. My sweet family did the run - very validating for me!


- We had our families and Max and Rebecca (who are like family!) come out to Lacey's baby blessing just one week after her birth (amazing./wonderful and overwhelming at the same time!)


- I quit my health educator job (in tobacco prevention and control) at the Utah County Health Department

- Richard graduated in December (and is walking this month)!!!!!!

- We went to Pennsylvania for Christmas with Richard's family, which I was originally stressed about with a new baby and being right in the middle of us packing to move, but turned out to be really nice and just what we needed.

 Our crazy packing/post baby mess


- We got back from Pennsylvania, and less than 24 hours later, we were driving away from Lacey's first home with bittersweet emotions and a packed-up Uhaul truck (thanks to everyone who helped - we couldn't have done it without the help from our amazing family and friends).  We were sad to leave our apartment (which we had lived in the longest out of all our other apartments - a year and a half), but also SO glad to be out of it - it was also the tiniest apartment we'd lived in out of all of our dwellings (not including Uganda). 

- We moved in with my parents in order to save up some money and look for/buy a house.  We have loved being with my family, and are going to be sad in a lot of ways, when it's time to move out.

- Richard started his job in January, and loves it and his co-workers - it is an awesome company! He is enjoying the environment and starting to get into some projects he really enjoys.

 - I have been adjusting to/loving life as a stay-at-home mommy. It has been wonderful and exhausting to be able to be with Lacey all day every day. We are currently working on her sleep habits/schedule... any recommendations for good books to read on getting baby to stay asleep for longer than 2 hours at a time through the night?

- We found an awesome townhouse in Tigard that we immediately fell in love with - it is pretty much everything we wanted (the location isn't my favorite, but other than that, it's perfect), and we are so excited to have our own place! And to have SPACE! and places to put EVERYTHING! This is a big deal.  We are supposed to close on our house this week or next, and are SO excited!!! Pictures to come!






3 comments:

amanda said...

So excited you moved to Portland! We should get together. And have you read dr Karps book "happiest baby on the block"? (I think that is the right author/book). The five s tricks really work for us. I also hear but didn't read "healthy sleep habits, healthy child" or something is good.

Anyway good luck with everything!

Ashley and Mike said...

I love reading your new posts! So happy for you guys. Congrats again on your baby and it's good to hear that you're doing so well!

Jessica and Trent said...

Loved reading this Marissa!! I want more recent pictures of Lacey though ;) I know a lot of people are opposed to "Baby Wise", but it really worked for us. Aiden was sleeping through the night around 4 months and it honestly kept me sane! Miss you!!