This semester, Richard is still working as an American Heritage teaching assistant, which he is pretty happy about. And he only has two labs to teach (compared to three), which means that he will have about 20 less papers to grade, which I am pretty happy about. In addition to working, he is taking some pretty awesome classes, including Basketball, Physical Science, Social Entrepreneurship, History of Creativity, Business Writing, and New Testament.
I am pretty excited about my schedule this semester. It is a lot more structured and busy than last semester, but its growing on me! In the mornings, I am working at my internship (at the county health department in the womens clinic). At the moment, I am working on developing some mental health materials, and classes to offer the women who visit the clinic. Depression is an issue that many women deal with in general, and the clinic does not have a whole lot to offer the women who are dealing with it at the moment. I am really excited to be doing this because I have become very passionate about the topic of mental health over the past semester. It is just a huge part of our overall health, and I don't think that enough people know that, or know how they can improve their mental health.
So, that is what I am working on at my internship, and then in addition to that, I am still working and taking 3 classes this semester. I am taking positive psychology (which I really love so far), as well as public speaking, and english. I am excited to learn all that I can this last semester of my college career!!! That's right, folks, I'm finally graduating in April!!!
Following graduation this April, Richard and I have a unique opportunity to be able to go abroad and do some humanitarian service for a couple of months with an organization named HELP international! We are ecstatic to be doing this! At the beginning of May, we will be leaving North America for the first time in our lives, and going to an unknown (to us) land called AFRICA!
We are going to be going to the country of Uganda, and will be working in a town called Mbale. Richard and I will be involved in various different projects throughout our time there, including public health education, microfinance, microenterprise, and we even have the opportunity to design our own projects to be implemented there. There is so much to say about this, I could really go on and on. I will be posting more on this in the future, I am sure. In fact, we plan on keeping this blog updated throughout our time in Uganda, so that you will be able to follow what we will be doing. But if you have any questions, please comment and we will be excited to answer them! :)
4 comments:
That is so sweet about HELP international! I'm jealous...that's crazy! I miss hanging out with you five times a week! :)
Wow, that is an exciting adventure! How long will you be there?
Amanda - thanks, we are so excited! I miss hanging out with you every day too! haha! We need to get together sometime soon!
Francesca - Thanks for sharing our excitement, it really will be and adventure! :) We are going to be there for about 12 weeks - from the beginning of May til the mid/end of July.
wow that sounds amazing!!! i'm so jealous! Dan and I really wanted to do something like that before graduating and getting jobs, but never found the time... I'm sure you guys will enjoy every moment!! can't wait to hear more!
Post a Comment