Friday, October 24, 2008

Best Date Ever!


Richard Took me on the most amazing date last weekend! The greatest part about it, is that I had NO idea what was going on. Let me explain:
It all started at the beginning of last week, when Richard told me he had gotten a call from the ward secretary, wanting to set up an interview on Saturday, at the bishops house - church dress. We wondered what it was all about - I was convinced that Richard was going to get a calling or something serious like that. So, later on in the week, I reminded Richard about it, just to make sure he wouldn't forget, "Oh yeah, thanks Honey." I had it in my planner and everything: "Interview at Bishop's 1:00." After that, I forgot about it, and the week went on.
Saturday morning, Richard had a meeting to go to, and we had plans to go running after, so he told me to just eat a small breakfast, and then we'd eat a real breakfast after we went running. When he got home, sat around for awhile just talking, and debating whether or not we actually wanted to go running after all. Then all of the sudden, he looked at the clock, "Oh NO! We have to be at the bishop's in an hour!" I couldn't believe I'd forgotten! So, I jumped up and hurried to get ready. I barely had time to shower and dress, so I skipped drying my hair or doing anything fancy with it. I walked out and informed Richard that I was ready, and Richard, seeing the despicable condition of my hair, told me that luckily, the ward secretary had called him and told him the bishop was running late with his other interviews. He thought we could come about 15 minutes later than planned. So, I was grateful to hear that, and hurried to do my hair.
As we were driving, Richard said he wasn't sure if he knew exactly where the bishop's house was, but hopefully, we could find it in time. We drove around for a bit, and then frustrated, he tried calling the secretary and the bishop for directions. Neither of them answered. Uggh how frustrating! He told me some of the directions he had been given, and decided to pull over in a nearby parking lot, and ask some of the people at one of the businesses if they knew where a certain landmark was. The parking lot happened to be that of an Indian Restaurant, which was very convenient because Richard had been wanting to go there ever since we came to Provo, and what better time than now to get some information about prices and whatnot. I was reluctant to go in, because I just thought it would make us even more late for our appointment. But, Richard insisted. So, we walked in and the host asked, "Two?" and I, fully expecting Richard to say something like, "No, actually, I was just wondering if you could give me some directions," was stunned when he actually said, "Yes, just two." I was thinking he was going to ask him once we sat down or something, which I thought was very uncouth. I just stood there for a second, trying to figure out what was going on, and Richard looked back, laughed, and said "Marissa, there never was a bishop's appointment today." I was so confused! There was no way that all that earlier in the week could have been fake! It was too real! But alas, he convinced me that it really had all been a setup, he had never talked to anyone about an interview, and it had all been so that we could go out on a date. He had told me earlier in the week as well, that he was going to take me on a date, but wouldn't tell me a thing about it. I had been trying to get details out of him ever since.
After our delicious and amazing lunch of Indian curry, rice, and naan bread, we headed for home. Or so I thought... Richard started driving toward the freeway, and got onto I-15 N... Salt Lake City?! I tried to guess what we were doing, and asked him if we were going to watch the Joseph Smith movie, (I think that kind of stole his thunder...oops) and he laughed and said yes. He said we were also going to watch a play that evening too, and I had no idea what it could be. That's not like him to want to go to play, so I was totally lost. Once we got to SLC, we got out of the car, and before I knew it, he was pulling our temple clothes out of the trunk! He said that we were going to do a session at the Salt Lake Temple, and since it is a live session, that was the "play" we were going to watch. I was so surprised! I couldn't believe how well everything worked out - I had absolutely no clue what he had up his sleeve!
Anyway, we had an amazing time together in Salt Lake City around Temple Square. It was a perfect day!(Photo by Richard)


2 comments:

Cindymom said...

I think Richard delights in nothing as much as in delighting and surprising you. He probably chuckled to himself all week as he worked out his plan. Marissa you are guileless, and your responses are choice. I can see why Richard loves doing these kinds of things for you! I loved your post. I'm so glad that you had a nice break after your stressful week.

Lindsey said...

Awwww, that is just about the sweetest thing since cotton candy! Way to go Richard ;)